Hemingford Abbots lies south of the Ouse, which forms its northern boundary. It comprises 2,398 acres of land and 23 acres of land covered by water. Near the river the land is liable to floods, but rises to over 100 ft. above ordnance datum in the south. The soil near the river is gravel and loam, but in the north it is a stiff clay, growing wheat, barley, oats and beans.
The River Great Ouse at Hemingford Abbots (circa 1911)
The village, which is almost continuous with that of Hemingford Grey, stands near the south bank of the River Ouse, and about a mile to the north of the main road from Godmanchester to Cambridge, from which branch roads, called Rideaway and New Road, lead to the village; a road called Moat's Way goes southward to Littlebury Farm, Moat's Way Farm and Top Farm. The village street follows the line of the river, the church standing on its north side, where the river widens round Batcocks Island.
To the east of the church is the Manor House, the residence of Mr. Richard Charles Lane, and to the west the rectory. Near here West Street runs south joining Rideaway, which skirts on the east Hemingford Park, the residence of Mr. Philip Carr, with its lakes, fish ponds and plantations. West of the rectory and south of Hemingford Road is the school. In Common Lane, going north-west of the church, is Whitehall, a 17th-century half-timber house, with shaped end gables. Further west is another half-timbered house of about 1600, with some old fittings. A house in Watts Lane has two stone tablets with the initials and dates R. P. 1600 and R. P. 1741. There are several 17th-century cottages in the village street.
On the east side of the cross roads, about 250 yards south-east of the church, is the base of a wayside cross with a part of the stem and on the east side of Watts Lane are the remains of a homestead moat possibly the site of the manor house of William de Hemingford.
Victoria County History - Huntingdonshire Printed in 1932